Thursday, August 17, 2006

Woo ... that one was messy.

I've had a lot of low blood sugars in my life, but only a handful stand out from the crowd. The ones where something a little different happens. The ones where it's not just a matter of getting a glass of juice and then going on. Pretty much, one like this morning.

I don't really know exactly what happened. I know that in the early morning hours that I was doing a lot of tossing and turning. I even realized that because I woke myself up doing it. But I just tried to get some more sleep. Then the alarm went off. I turned it off and fell asleep again.

Then I remember thinking, "I need to get up." And I just tossed the covers off and marched out to the dining room table to take my blood sugar. This is where things get a little haywire. I just remember things like it was a slideshow almost. I can see myself getting all the equipment out to take my blood sugar. And then, I see myself trying to put TWO testing strips into the meter and finally snap out of that and put one back in the bottle. Then I remember trying to draw blood without actually having a lancet in the little mechanism. Finally I remedy that after looking at it a lot.

Somewhere in there I remember seeing the machine say "ERROR1" over and over, and I can't figure out why. It's because you have to slide the testing strip into the slot after it's already on, and for some reason I was turning the machine on and off over and over trying to get it to work. This is about all I remember. Finally, I got that all done, and took my blood sugar which is pretty much a miracle in these circumstances. Not that I really NEEDED to take it since I was obviously WAY low. (37 to be precise.) Oh, and I remember my dad saying, "Need some juice?" and me nodding or shaking or ... making some gutteral unintelligible noise. Glad he was able to decipher it.

So, there you have it. Strangely enough, I've had much lower blood sugars where I didn't have any of these kind of problems. I'm not sure what made this one so much worse. Oh, and then moments later (after a couple glasses of juice), I find myself in the shower. I don't know why my first inclination after going through the testing and the juice drinking was, "I need to shower." Cleanliness is next to ... uh, deadliness, I guess.

Counting carbs sucks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl said...

Yeah .. that was a good day.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home