Monday, December 10, 2007

Can you say "skinflint"?

No, I'm not calling anyone a skinflint, I really am seeing if people can say or do say or even KNOW this word.

It started about a week ago. I don't know what the context was, but I used the word "skinflint" in a sentence and Lacey was like, "A what?" "A skinflint. You know?" No, in fact she did not.

So I mention in an email to Annette the other day that I need to get some music for her wedding, and I'm not a skinflint, but I just need to know if I should buy it or her. What do I get back? "A skin what?"

OK, seriously, I am NOT the only person who's heard of this. So I'm at RCA (one of our clients) this morning, so I just go through all the office personel and ask them "Do you know what a skinflint is?" These ladies are all older than me and have families. If it was a generational barrier, then this should take care of it. "A skinflint? Is that something sexual?"

Lame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinflint -- Educate yourselves.

5 Comments:

Blogger Desiree said...

I know the word, so I guess that makes two, eh? :)

6:07 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

Whatever, I say you're all weird.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

YOU'RE WEIRD.

I knew someone would have a heightened sense of archaic vocabulary. Thanks Des.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Ducky said...

People don't know this word??

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just as surprised ... although I guess if people don't even remember what the Ten Commandments and the Four Gospels are anymore, they're sure not going to remember what a skinflint is.

I did. :)

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home