Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The adventures of Karl and his ATM

I hate the ATM at my bank. A couple weeks ago I went down there to do an after hours deposit, and the machine asked, "Do you want an envelope?" Why yes I do, thanks for asking. Door opens, and ... nothing. How am I supposed to deposit my checks?

Finally we go to Charlie's bank (I'm Compass Bank, he's Bank of America) and he grabs a handful of about 50 envelopes and brings them back. I grab one, he puts the rest in my glove compartment, and I deposit m check. And it works fine.

Fast forward to yesterday. Another day to send in checks. Same song, second verse. "Do you want an envelope?" I'll bite. No envelope. Open the glove compartment ... crap. We're in Charlie's car instead today! I get a little bit angry and a lot frustrated.

Trip to Charlie's bank: he deposits his check, I get another envelope from the friendly envelope people at BoA. We drive back over to Compass while I mark out of "of America" and write "Compass" over "Bank". I mark out the BoA logo and meticulously draw the Compass Bank logo below it. And then on the rest of the envelope, I write, "For the love of all that is holy and just, please either fill your ATM machine w/ envelopes, or fix it." And in large letters filling the rest of the blank space, I write, "FOR MY SANITY!!"

Fast forward: next morning, 7:30am. Marshall knocks on my bedroom door ... "Compass Bank on the phone for you." "Hello?"

"Hi, I just wanted to let you know that we're SO sorry about the inconvenience you are having with our ATM machine and the piece that is broken for the envelope dispenser is being replaced very soon." I could NOT stop laughing at this point. "This is the best call I've gotten all year," I tell her. "Well, you said your sanity was on the line so we wanted to give you a call." She pauses for a moment and says, "All of us here at the bank this morning got a good laugh about this. Especially the part about the 'love of all that is holy and just'."

I could have been mad that she called at 7:30am for this, but it was just too priceless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

Nicely done, Karl! Way to whip those supposed "customer service" people into shape.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home