Friday, February 17, 2006

Jobs, jobs, jobs.

This might be more of a reminder to myself as to what all I have to do now, but I'm throwing it on the blog anyways, just because I know everyone likes to see blogs change periodically and unexpectedly.

- I got a call about 2 weeks ago asking me if I could accompany a girl at UT in a dual vocal recital. After finally getting another job nailed down and making sure the day wasn't taken, I accepted. Then, moments later, the OTHER girl in the recital came up to me and said, "Hey Karl, I hear you're going to be playing for our recital?" Oooook, didn't realize I was doing the whole thing. More money for me, so I'm ok with this. Unfortunately, the first girl has to be able to perform any of her pieces today (in a couple hours) for the faculty, and I've only had the music for about a week. And this stuff is nasty tough. I'm going to go putzing through it and hopefully not look like too much of a fool.

- That brings up the other job that I got nailed down. I finally finalized that I would be working with Grace Community High School again for the semester. And they have a lot more shows and competitions than I remember. It's a Christian-based private school, and the kids are just awesome, and so is the director. They pay really generously, too. Oh, and they were so desperate for a pianist last semester, and Mrs. Boylan (the director) told the story all the time about how they needed a pianist, and they called me, and I came right in, and somehow (I forget the whole story) it was practically answered prayer for them. It's nice to work with such devout (sorta) people, and see them pray before everything. And I mean, ALL the time. Before practice, before performance, randomly in the middle of practice. I'm not kidding, Mrs. Boylan will get frustrated during practice, and just BUST into prayer, and I'm like .. well, I hate sitting down while there is praying going on, so I'm like this jack-in-the-box over at the piano. It's like jumping to attention whenever a commanding officer walks in the door. AND I think she mentioned me in about 95% of the praying, and about how blessed they were to have me. All in all, I wasn't ready for all that. :)

- Kay Williams is the "new Karl" as they say up at UT. She's 40ish or so, and has been doing the high school accompaniment gig for years and years, and now she's decided to come back to school and get her bachelor's. When I have a job I can't do, I recommend her, and when she has one, she does too. So, two nights ago, she called me and said there is a high school senior that needs to do a concerto movement for an audition, and that she doesn't have time to do it. All I have to do is go to one practice, and then play for the audition and I get a nice little pay. I called the girl's father, and I had to keep reassuring him that I wouldn't have any problem playing the piece (even without seeing it, I have to at least keep up the appearance that I'm confident ... can't get many jobs saying, "I'll see what I can do.").

- The orchestra teacher at Grace Community called me yesterday, and said that she has a couple orchestra students that need an accompanist for a competition in a couple weeks. Yay! This is good. The reason? Because their other accompanist had a stroke and won't be able to play the piano for a while because she's being rehabilitated. Ow. I don't feel good about this anymore. Nevertheless, I took the job.

Needless to say, I'm swamped in music. You should see how much copied music I throw out every month. OK, I'm outta here. Music to be played.

3 Comments:

Blogger Desiree said...

Busy bee!! I hope this keeps up!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

Part-time Professional Musician ;)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

Good job, Karl! It's awesome to hear that things are picking up!

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home