Thursday, June 01, 2006

Dell Tech Support

We had this computer that wouldn't turn on. Wouldn't do anything. Stone cold dead.

I brought it in the main room and switched power cords, then finally switched power supplies with another one, and it worked perfectly. So, there you have it. Dead power supply. Mark (my co-worker) has me call Dell tech support to have them replace the dead one. "Just tell them you had a dead one, you replaced it, it works fine, so the power supply needs to be replaced."

I call. Paul was a nice guy. American and everything. "What seems to be the problem?" I give him the low-down. We have a part that is obviously bad and all we need old Paul to do is have them send us a new one. "So, when you had the computer plugged in, what color was the power LED?" *sigh* "There was no LED. Dead." "Ah, ok. Did you try a different power cable?" "Yes, I tried about 3 or 4 different cables. Then I switched it to a different power supply and IT WORKED."

Paul was thorough. He wanted to make sure there was absolutely no possible way that I could maybe cough at the dead power supply and magically make it work again. He tells me "Hold on one moment, I'm looking through the troubleshooting list." Take your time, Paul. Take your time. I'm a patient guy. And I'm not having to ask you to repeat yourself 5 or 6 times to figure out what you're saying. So I'm cool.

Two minutes of silence go by. I'm humming to myself. Paul is doing .. something. I question whether or not I want to do the gay little, "....are you there?" I hold out. Finally, Paul says, "...OK, I'm going to be sending you a new power supply."

Was that so hard?

4 Comments:

Blogger KiwiGeek said...

IT'S THE POWER SUPPLY!
Oh wait, that's what he decided. Hey, at least I gave you a much quicker diagnosis.

Unless, you know, the connecter on the PWR jumpers is screwed, but baring that, switch that PSU and be done with it.

Remembering that you want one that has at least 750watts to power the case lights. I had a 650 once that just couldn't run all my lights plus the 8 IDE devices.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

650 couldn't run the lights and 8 devices? That's crazy.

1:29 PM  
Blogger KiwiGeek said...

I had more lights than is necessary for a night-landing at an average sized airport :)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

I like your style.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home