Monday, June 18, 2007

Re: Cell phone woes, a la Annette

I had to call my cell phone company today because my minutes used never rolled over last month. Right now on my 1000 minute plan I am somewhere around 1500 minutes. I called Alltel and told the lady my situation. The whole system had gotten upgraded at the beginning of the month and I'm almost absolutely sure that's why things got screwed up on my account. She was absolutely sure that I was just talking on the phone. A BUNCH.

"Let me check your last 3 months of activity. Hmm, yes, you haven't ever gotten to the 1000 minutes on your plan." Yes, that's quite correct. Now I wonder why I would have talked not only 1500 anytime minutes, but an additional 800 night and weekend minutes ... and it's only the 15th day of this billing cycle. "I think we should put you on a new plan so you don't get a $500 phone bill."

As much as I am still sure this is not my fault, this part of the conversation made me way happy. She put me on a 2100 minute plan for this month. Like, the one I'm already in. So now if the minutes really ARE mine (they're not) then I'll just pay the $99 for the new plan this month. How cool is that? I'm pretty sure I got this kind of special deal because at the beginning of the conversation when I gave her all my info she said, "I see here you have been with Alltel for 10 years. We really appreciate your business!" Thanks, I can tell!

But seriously, let's think about this logistically. At 2300-2400 minutes used, I would have to have talked OVER 2 hours a day at this point. More like 2 1/2 or so. I KNOW how many minutes I use! I do NOT TALK THAT MUCH ON THE PHONE! And I couldn't get across to her the fact that I watch my minutes religiously. I check alltel.com once a day at least, AND I know the # and correct phone pad options to go straight to hearing the electronic voice at Alltel tell me my minutes of usage as well. Just admit that your crappy phone system didn't do it's job and don't tell me that I've talked on the phone like a teenage girl for 15 days.

I asked her to have Alltel send me an itemized paper bill this month so I could see some of these 5 hour phone conversations that I must have been having in the last 2 weeks. She for some reason couldn't look at the individual phone calls. The best thing is that if I find that they did screw up (WHEN I find that out, I mean), then they'll refund the money on the 2100 minute plan for this month.

All in all, even though I didn't get the answer I needed, I was really impressed by the service I got today. Thanks Karla (my sister) for getting an account with them so very long ago. Grandfather clause me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home