Monday, June 02, 2008

The newest thing going on.

OK, so long story short: I bought in with a vacation network company and I can get ultra low prices on accomdations in lots of nice vacation spots for me and my family and friends. (Now who's my friend?)

Long story long: I sign up for this free car at a festival down in Addison that bored me to tears. I also should have known that this was all just a way to get my information so they could call me and try to sell me something later. Especially seeing as how one of the boxes you had to check involved "How much money do you make?" and if you checked "Under $35k" then you actually were NOT eligible to win the car. Uh, yeah.

So someone calls me to ask if I'll come see their presentation. She assures me that they are NOT a timeshare company and that their presentation is only an hour and if you don't want it, then you just leave ... they aren't going to hold you there and try to force it down your throats (as I've seen happen pretty frequently with timeshares). Oh, and they're offering me a free 3 day/2 night stay in a Marriott for showing up. Fine, I'll do it.

I get to this place and sit in a room with about 15 other people during my session (they do 3 sessions every evening), and again with the paperwork and asking me how much money I make. I'm starting to feel a little self-conscious about telling them. And then in they come and do the little speal. Seems that their whole deal is that they own a lot of real estate all over America and the Carribean area, and if you sign up with them, you can go on vacations to these spots for $500/week. Sure, there are other fees here and there, but after you pay all that, you still are getting away with a real cheap rate. But it was just ... SO much money. I remember a $150 registration fee, $500/week for 18 weeks of vacation (that never expired and was transferrable AND willable), then $99 processing fee each time you set up a vacation and $339 in tax per year and an additional $30/night for peak season etc etc etc. All in all, I wasn't planning on putting down $9000+ then and there for this stuff.

Then they have the next guy come in and show us the perks for signing up right then and there: $1000 off, or an additional 6 weeks of vacation (effectively making your vacations like .. $375/week), or even taking 14 weeks for $7000, payment plans with 0% interest. But the most intriguing thing was what they call "Excess inventory". If you want to plan a vacation to one of their spots, you have to do it 6 weeks in advance. If something that they own isn't taken from today to six weeks out, it goes on the excess inventory list. And then you can rent that for a week for only $198. $198!! But still ... I'm not paying out nearly $10k for that little perk.

So they do all this speal and see if they have any bites. I think two people went to talk more about pricing and payment plans and then they were like, "No one else? Oh heck no. So then the NEXT GUY comes walking in.

"Hi, I'm *whatever his name was* and I'm from sales. I'm here to sell you stuff." And then with that, he turns around to the wipe board where they had all those fees and prices and stuff everywhere and started erasing it like a crazy man. "Out of all the things we offer, most people are most intrigued by the excess inventory."

I was listening.

"So we can sell you a package where you get access to the excess inventory and you can even do the $500/week vacations 'pay as you go' but just for a slightly higher price than the others would have gotten." And he goes on and on about it, but at this point, he's sold me.

So, long story close to over and I'll make it shorter here: I bought the membership so I could get access to the excess inventory. So why am I telling you all this? Well, the best part about this is that I don't have to be the one going. Anyone I know can access this and get the $200 for a week accomodations from the excess inventory list. So ... let me know if you're interested in this. You can at least get the excess list from me (I get an email about it every Friday). And if you want to see what their locations are, check out www.planwithtan.com. Oh, and even without a login name, I think you can check out some of their excess inventory info from that page.

I'm not going to put my email address here cause I really hate spam. But if you don't know what it is, I'm sure you know someone who does.

7 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

Are you sure you didn't just get suckered into something?

3:09 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

Sure.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Ducky said...

sucker :)

7:19 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

I'll be sure to blog the first time I get a condo in Hawaii for $200/week. This summer for sure.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Charlie Nas said...

I'm going with :D

8:53 AM  
Blogger Josh K said...

I'm not your friend, but can I mooch anyway?

5:25 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

Absolutely.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home